But now I am talking about starting a fire on purpose, and the type you can use to create S’mores, not a record for arson. Anyone who has gone camping and wanted to have a fire knows you don’t just hold a match up to your wood. You need kindling of some sort and a way to get the blaze hot enough for long enough to catch the logs. Sure, you could douse them in lighter fluid (and I’m not saying that wouldn’t be fun), but it smells horrid and park rangers generally frown upon that sort of thing. What you need is some really good fire starters.
Before we left I was browsing Pinterest for camping food and came across a few pins for homemade fire starter sticks. Most of them used the same stuff: toilet paper tubes, paper towels and dryer lint. A few listed melted crayon bits but I have tried that and can report they do not work well and they ruin your muffin tins. Having heard several news reports of homes going up in smoke due to dryer lint fires I figured this was good stuff, so that is where I began. In fact, I may or may not have made a Facebook request for my friends to save me some lint (thanks, Deb). I made about two dozen of these things and am pleased to report they work so well Kevin thinks I should market them. But I will just share the instructions with you for free. You’re welcome.
- dryer lint
- paper towel tubes
- toilet paper tubes
- paper egg cartons
- any random small cardboard food boxes I could find
- shredded paper, paper towels soaked in bacon grease
- old candles that were not worth saving or giving away
You can let any leftover wax harden in the pan and remelt it to make more starters later.